Man is looking all around for the answer to the emptiness he feels. He knows that he is somehow out of touch with his world, his neighbors, and even himself. The Bible gives us some clear and concise reasons for this...and the solution to the problem.
The Condition of Man
1. Proverbs 14:12 - "There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death." All of man's ideas seem so good, yet history shows that none are able to really change the world for the better. 2. Romans 3:23 - "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God." Every person, when compared to God's goodness is found wanting. 3. Romans 6:23 - "For the wages of sin is death." Sin may be fun for a season, but there is a heavy price tag in the end.
God Offers Man Another Choice
1. Romans 6:23 - "But the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." 2. John 3:36 - "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him." Salvation gives us life, not just in eternity, but today. When we accept Jesus, we are able to enjoy life and feel good about ourselves right now.
Jesus is The Only Choice
1. John 14:6 - "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one cometh unto the Father, but by Me." 2. Hebrews 9:27 - "...as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment..." Christ's forgiving us is the only way we can stand before a holy God on the day of judgment. Tied to these reasons to accept Jesus Christ are all the promises of the Bible...promises of guidance, direction, love, purpose, healing, and blessing. For two thousand years, in every kind of culture and political system, Jesus has met the needs of His people. Salvation is the whole purpose of life. In the hearts of all men is the knowledge that there is a God and that they are separated from Him. Questions about governments, wealth, plans, or programs are unimportant compared to what a man is going to do about his sin. The good news is that God loves us and has made us part of His eternal plain. God has left us with the impossible task of cleansing ourselves but has made a way. Jesus is that WAY!
How do I Get Saved?
1. HE IS CALLING YOU! Revelation 3:20 - "Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me." Jesus is waiting to come into your heart right now. You didn't seek Him, but He sought you and you feel Him calling you right now. 2. REPENT. 1 John 1:9 - "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." 3. CONFESS AND BELIEVE. Romans 10:8-10, 13 - "But what does it say? "The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart" (that is, the word of faith which we preach): that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For "whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved." 4. WHAT TO PRAY? If you haven't asked Jesus into your heart yet, do so right now by praying a simple prayer like this one: "Dear Jesus, I ask you to come into my heart. I know that I am a sinner, but I believe that you died on the cross and rose from the dead to set me free. I believe that your shed blood has released me from the power of sin. I give you my life and make you my Lord. Amen."
Jesus made it clear that there was more to salvation than just one prayer. You have started a new life, but there are real enemies. There is a real devil who will try to oppose and lead you back to your old life of sin and rebellion against God. There is also a part of you that the Bible calls the flesh. It enjoyed sin and will try to regain control of your life. This means that there are some important things that you need to begin to do right now.
1. TRUST! Jesus said that He would accept you and you must believe that He has. John 1:12 - "But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name" Believe this even if, at times, circumstances and emotions seem to say you're really not forgiven. When you were a sinner, you sometimes felt like serving God, but you trusted in the world; now put your trust in God's promises...
Heaven and earth will pass away, but God's Word will never pass away. - Mark 13:31
2. CHANGE! Jesus told a prostitute, "Go and sin no more," Paul told the Romans to reckon themselves dead unto sin and not to let sin reign in their mortal bodies. Though you are still able to sin, you no longer need to. You don't need to spend years picking at your sins, just believe God and change your way of living based on the power of what Christ has done.
3. FELLOWSHIP! Jesus changed the lives of the disciples with the simple invitation, "Come and follow Me." As they were with him, they learned of him. Jesus is saying the same thing today. He promises that "Wherever two or three are gathered in His names there He is also." It is vital to begin to get with other Christians. The book of Ephesians tells us that God "gave gifts unto men...pastors and teachers...for the perfecting of the saints for the work on the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ." The most important thing that you can do as a newborn Christian is to find a church. Just as we followed others into sin, we now can follow others into the discovery of the Christian life. In church, you find strength through the preaching of the word, as well as fellowship and purpose. It's not an accident that you found this church and you need to become a part of it.
4. WITNESS! Matthew 10:32 "Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven." Jesus met a Samaritan woman and that very day she became a witness to her whole city. Some think that they should wait to tell others about what has happened to them. This is a big mistake. As you tell about Christ that your faith is strengthened.
5. PRAY! This can be done in everyday language. It can also be done confidently since God promises to hear those who come to Him in Jesus' name.
6. READ YOUR BIBLE! 2 Timothy 3:16-17 says, "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
7. SEEK THE BAPTISM OF THE HOLY SPIRIT! Acts 1:8 says, "But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you..." Ask the Pastor for more information regarding this important gift!
You have begun the greatest adventure in life and may God bless you as you take your first steps in serving Him.
Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me." (Revelation 3:20)